Electrical underground boring, also known as horizontal directional drilling (HDD), has revolutionized the installation of underground electrical conduits and utilities. This trenchless method offers a non-intrusive way to lay cables beneath roads, rivers, and structures without the need for extensive excavation or the disruption of surface activities. It is particularly favored in urbanized areas where surface trenching can be costly, time-consuming, and cause significant disturbances to traffic and residents.
The process starts by drilling a pilot hole along a designated path using a specialized drilling rig. Once the pilot hole is established, it is enlarged to accommodate the utility. The electrical conduits are then pulled back through this enlarged hole, establishing an underground path for electricity. This method ensures minimal ground disturbance and is both time-efficient and cost-effective.
Moreover, electrical underground boring reduces the environmental impact as it minimizes land disruption and potential damage to surrounding habitats. It offers increased safety since the risk of utility strikes is significantly reduced. HDD has indeed presented a win-win solution for modern urban planning, emphasizing sustainability and efficiency in utility installation.
1. Planning and Preparation:
* Site Survey: Inspect the area to determine the best path for the bore. Locate existing utilities using utility locators or calling the local utility notification center.
* Design the Bore Plan: Depending on the complexity of the area, you might need software to plot the best path. This plan will specify entry and exit points, depth of the bore, and any curves or angles.
* Obtain Necessary Permits: Before starting the work, make sure you have all required permits from local authorities.
2. Setup the Drilling Equipment:
* Choose the appropriate drilling rig based on the diameter of the conduit and the length of the bore.
* Prepare the drilling fluid (often a mix of water and bentonite) which will be used to lubricate and stabilize the borehole.
* Position the drill rig at the designated starting point.
3. Pilot Bore:
* Begin drilling a pilot bore following the planned path. The drilling head will be equipped with a location device so its position can be tracked from the surface.
* Adjust the direction and depth as necessary based on real-time tracking data.
* After the pilot bore is complete, the hole may need to be enlarged to accommodate the conduit. This is done by pulling a larger cutting tool (reamer) back through the pilot hole, often in multiple passes.
* Ensure that the hole is of the appropriate size and is stable. Continue to use drilling fluid during this process to maintain the borehole.
* Attach the electrical conduit to the reaming tool.
* Slowly pull the conduit back through the borehole while ensuring it doesn’t get tangled or damaged.
* Once the conduit is in place, make sure to test its integrity and ensure it’s properly sealed at both ends.
Excellent company. Excellent work. We had three projects to do at the house and right from the start We knew we were in great hands – very professional very smart guys very efficient workers. We had them hang a chandelier in the foyer, they added an outlet in our floor, and they fixed our under counter lighting. So good we will definitely use them for anything we need that’s electrical.
Meer Electric is the best!! The entire process from start to finish was so easy. We had a big project and we were concerned about the scope of work that needed to be completed, we were worried about budgeting and we had tight timelines to work inside of. Meer worked around all of that and our project was completed quickly and at a very fair price.
The crew there are friendly, professional and a pleasure to have hired. If we need electrical work done again we’ll call Meer without hesitation.
Thank you so much Brian, Sahand, Luis!
The Meer Electric team who came out, Cris and Cody, were very professional, efficient, and knowledgeable. We had a loose connection that was very hard to track down but they did that while accomplishing other tasks I had requested throughout the home. The pricing was reasonable and the work was the best we’ve had when it comes to hiring an electrician! I would clearly recommend this company. It also helps that there in Alpharetta very close and follow up on a daily basis until the appointment time to make sure that everything is still on go!
Richard and Frank were great. Professional but friendly and good sense of humor. Job was done quicker than expected and it was done “Right”.